Monday, March 3, 2008

Wake up and smell the roses!

For more than half my life I have given my time and efforts to other people almost 100%. I have been a dedicated wife and mother and worked circles around my coworkers wherever I have worked. I don't say this in a bragadocious way at all. No, in fact if you know me I would deny I was busy and volunteer to help you in any way. Well, needless to say it has taken it's toll on me. To the point that I don't know what to do with myself unless I am full-throttle-can't-breathe-busy. It's actually a sickness. Big Daddy has encouraged me for many years to get a hobby, get a life and get out of the house more. I have always felt that my hobby was my job, I couldn't possibly spend more time away from my family. You see what I've done?

So, for the last several months I've been dedicating time to myself. I'm so shocked that my house hasn't fallen down, the laundry still gets done and everyone is well fed. On top of this, I have read many books I've been putting off for years. I stopped insisting that I do EVERYTHING for family dinners. I learned what a blog was and started it. I sought out alternative treatment for my chronic pain. I weaned myself off all of my prescription medications and on to natural or herbal remedies. I filled out an application to volunteer at the hospital. I am in the process of purchasing the sewing machine of my dreams so I can take up crafting again. I love to do my Zumba dancing workout every morning. I am participating in a radical weight loss plan that will be successful. It feels good to be alive again. Who knows, maybe I'll even learn to golf!

3 comments:

Megan said...

You go girl! Er... Mom. :)

P.S. You remind me of Grandma Lyn. Busy busy busy!

Larsens said...

Yes you have been busy and always given to everyone. I have seen the changes you have made in your life. Good for you. Maybe one of these days I will follow your lead. And that Zumba looks divine.

McKenna Gordon said...

Love you! And I'm really glad you've had time for yourself lately. I hope you know we notice the things you do for us kiddos and appreciate you so much.